Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Anne of Windy Poplars: April Review

April has said goodbye, which means that it is time for a book review! :) This month's book is Anne of Windy Poplars, and (of course) it was a great book! :) 
OH, and a quick side note: I will be taking the month of May as one of my "break months" for the reading challenge, so my next review will be at the end of June. Enjoy! :) 


I will admit, it was a little harder to get into this book. Most of the first half of the book was letters from Anne to Gilbert, and it took some time to get through those chapters. (But hey, that's why I take a whole month to read the book, right?) 

The book starts with Anne once again far away from Green Gables, but this time, she is teaching at a private school in Summerside. This new job and new territory brings its own set of new challenges for Anne. From a prickly superintendent to the local "royal family" that runs the school their way, it is all that Anne can to just stay on track and teach. 

Even with all of the challenges, Anne makes time for new friends and connections. She becomes very close with Elizabeth, a young girl who is starving for affection, and through Anne stepping into her life, some pretty amazing things end up happening. (As usual...no spoilers!) There are three women that Anne moves in with as a boarder, and through the book, you really see her forming bonds with each of them in a different way. 

Like I said, much of the book is letters to Gilbert, in which, Anne talks about teaching, her students, and fellow staff members. It's not boring like you would imagine a book full of letters to be....in fact, I found myself forgetting that I was reading a letter most of the time! 

Over all, this book was great! I wouldn't say it was my favorite, but it was really good all the same. My advice would be to keep plowing through! The beginning is a little difficult to get through, but you can really get into the story, and it gets easier pretty fast.

Let me know what you think of the series so far! If you are planning on reading these, but haven't yet, I hope this review helps you get an idea of what you are diving into! :) Again, my next review will be at the end of June, for Anne's House of Dreams.



 Have a lovely day!

~Megan ♥

4 comments:

  1. Is this a book giveaway or just review?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just finished "Anne of Windy Poplars." After finishing the endless letters from Anne to Gilbert(visa versa)...I finally started getting into it. Great Review!!! ~Abby <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, lovelies! I love to hear from you! Every comment brightens my day a whole lot more, so by all means, leave me a note!
However, any inappropriate, rude, or scamming comments will disappear mysteriously...and they will never be seen again. So keep it appropriate, civil and nice, please! Hope to see you back soon, and have a delightful day! :)