Thursday, November 13, 2014

...giving thanks always...

With Thanksgiving fast approaching, I have noticed many Facebook posts reading "30 Days of Thankfulness Challenge," along with a daily post of something to be thankful for. While all of this is well and good, it really gets me thinking. Why only 30 days of Thankfulness? Why not 365 days of endless praise to the God who so lovingly crafted us in His image, giving us far more than we could ever ask for?
What would it look like if we all came together with one goal: to list 1,000 things that we are grateful for. Not just for 30 days, but all year round. Not just 1,000, but many, many more. God has so richly blessed us with this life, and we take it far too much for granted.
It is so easy for us to fall into discontentment and resentment when it seems like everyone else "has it all together," and we don't. A simple fifteen minutes of browsing Pinterest is all that it takes for most people. I have had this happen many times as well. When I see my friend with all the cute outfits, when I see someone who is so much more attractive, and when I see the picture-perfect models on magazine covers that are 50% plastic and 100% good lighting, I find myself slipping into discontentment with the life God has given me.
I recently read a book called "A Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp. This book really got my attention. It's all about joy. It's about being thankful for the little things in life. The author's style of writing is extremely gripping, and she tells a story. A story of how she found true joy, not just a little heart flutter and a laugh or two, but true, lasting joy in Christ. I have never been more moved or inspired reading a book, and I encourage you all to read it for yourself.

I am issuing a challenge: Why don't we all count at least 1,000 gifts of our own? I am starting it at the beginning of the new year, and I'm inviting you to join me. Join me in counting gifts every day for a whole year, and never ceasing to give thanks to God for even one day. What do you say, friends? Shall we do it together?

"With each gift I had accepted and given thanks for, I let go of my own will and accepted His. But my purgation, this releasing of sin and self, wasn't an act of Christ and His grace all-sufficient." ~Ann Voskamp

3 comments:

  1. As long as you remind me, so i don't forget, I am in! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, Michaela! thanks! We'll keep in touch for sure. :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by, lovelies! I love to hear from you! Every comment brightens my day a whole lot more, so by all means, leave me a note!
However, any inappropriate, rude, or scamming comments will disappear mysteriously...and they will never be seen again. So keep it appropriate, civil and nice, please! Hope to see you back soon, and have a delightful day! :)