Tuesday, February 2, 2016

2016 Anne of Green Gables Reading Challenge: January Review

Happy February! Wowww, it's soo hard to believe that January is already done and past. I have my January report card and February Resolutions still to do, so there will be a little bit of rapid-fire posting this week! (I hope you don't mind. ;))

Thankfully, I was able to finish Anne of Green Gables! (actually, I'm kind of sad that it's over, but I'm looking forward to the rest!) This month is Anne of Avonlea! I was going to answer some discussion questions about the book, but I changed my mind and decided to just write my own review.

I'll start by saying that I love, love, LOVE this book!! *squeals*
I definitely enjoyed this book even more when I read it through slowly. I had missed several things when I read it the first time, and it was really cool to be able to read it again and pick up all the little details and hilarious quotes. I discovered so much more about different characters and their personalities. Through the whole book, I felt like I was there witnessing it all. It was so hard for me to take a break from reading it, and even harder when I realized that I finished it. I think the book is a really good introduction to what the rest of the series will be, and I'm really looking forward to reading the other books.

I realized that I had always viewed Marilla as a kind of  unfeeling woman, but the more I read the book, the more I saw that she had strong feelings and emotions.  She was not into showing strong emotion and giving a lot of complements (or, as she said it, "pampering vanity."). However, she loved Anne just as much as Matthew did, and she was just as proud of her. She was so worried about spoiling Anne that she shrank from expressing her feelings until much later.
Matthew, on the other hand, was not afraid of telling Anne just how much he cared for her.  He encouraged, supported, and cheered her on, even when she was "in the depths of despair." He was definitely a huge father figure in her childhood, and that really impacted her for a long time after he died.
Then there is Anne. I love her. Through the book, you see her transformation from an unwanted orphan to someone who both experiences and learns about friendship and love. This fiery, redheaded orphan girl has an imagination to span the galaxies, a quirky personality, and a rather overly-dramatic but hilarious way of expressing things. Yeah...I really like her. :)

There have been books that made me cry, books that made me laugh, and books that made me cringe, cast them aside, and vow never to lay eyes on their pages again. Anne of Green Gables did cause both laughter and tears, but I loved every second of it. It is hands-down one of my favorite books. I'm giving it a hearty five stars, and I would recommend it for every girl to read! Oh, and as for the guys reading this, you could read the book but I have serious doubts that you would enjoy it half as much... :p


                                                                                                      Have a lovely day!

   ~Megan ♥



*Read my last post here: Currently: Reading, Writing, and Ramblings

4 comments:

  1. Hi Megan! :D I've read the whole series, but just last month I was missing L.M Montgomery's writings (after I finished her 'At the Altar' short story collection) and picked up Anne of Green Gables. I haven't finished it yet, but I still may, and I might go through most of the books again. Till Next Time,
    God Bless,
    -Mic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Michaila! I think you will love the book. :) Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  2. MEGAN. This review is perfection. GAHHHH. I've been wanting to read Anne of Green Gables for a couple of years, but it's still sitting on my TBR shelf. xD It looks so fabulous though, and I thoroughly enjoyed the movies so eeppp I think I'd really enjoy the book too. ANNE'S PERSONALITY IS GOALS. Like...she's just so inspiring and awesome and gah. YEP GAH. Good for you, getting through this book just in the month of January! I wish I could say the same, but I have set a little reading goal for 2016...I AM QUITE DETERMINED TO READ 16 BOOKS. (Yes, it seems like nothing but honestly I'm doubting that I will even reach 16...yikes! haha)

    This review is wonderful. ♥
    love,
    abbiee

    p.s. Would you like to swap buttons?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Abbiee!! Thank you so much! The book is SOO worth it. There are so many quotes that are included in the movies, but there is also a good number that aren't. Some of those are the funniest, too!! So, yeah..Definitely read the book! I TOTALLY agree. ANNE'S PERSONALITY IS BEYOND GOALS. :D
      I don't know if I will even be able to read 16 books this year, so there is no judgement here about that number! HA. :D
      Thank you so much for commenting! Oh, and I would LOVE to do a button swap! I'm gonna put yours on her right now. :)
      ~Megan

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by, lovelies! I love to hear from you! Every comment brightens my day a whole lot more, so by all means, leave me a note!
However, any inappropriate, rude, or scamming comments will disappear mysteriously...and they will never be seen again. So keep it appropriate, civil and nice, please! Hope to see you back soon, and have a delightful day! :)