Saturday, July 23, 2016

5 Ways To Get Writing Inspiration

At some time or another, we have all been out of writing ideas. You may be sitting at your desk, racking your brain for an hour, but you still can't think of anything to write about. It is a very frustrating place to be! When you are in a rut, it is tempting to give up in despair, but you shouldn't! I came up with a list of five of my favorite ways to get inspiration when I have hit a dry patch creatively. I hope that these help you get back on track and writing again! 


1.) Have an emergency list of ideas available:
On your really good writing days or when you are overflowing with ideas, write down as many of them as you can! Keep a list of them handy so that when you are having a hard time thinking of things to write about, you can refer back to this list. Since I heard this tip (and learned to write down my ideas when I had them!), I have had a much easier time getting inspiration for a project!

2.) Read other writers' work: 
When I am running dry on inspiration, it sometimes helps if I read some of my favorite blogs or books. Sometimes, simply reading good writing inspires me! As far as blogging, there are also some really great ideas that you can get from other bloggers! Be careful that you aren't stealing their writing, however. There is a difference between using someone's idea and copying their work. It's always good to put your own creative twist on an idea to make it your own. 

3.) Decorate/personalize your writing space:
Having a pretty writing space can really help with inspiration. Hang some cute pictures on the wall, print off some of your favorite quotes, or do whatever you want to do to make it visually appealing. It makes me want to write more when my space is neat, organized, and looking really cute. Take a day to give your writing space a little makeover! 

4.) People watch:
Ok, this may sound slightly creepy, but it works!! If you want a really good story, go sit in a coffee shop or restaurant for a few hours and just watch the people around you. (don't just sit and stare, though...that's when it becomes creepy. :p) Ever since I was little, I have loved to make up stories about strangers around me. Who knows, you could write a book based off of the three people in the checkout line at the grocery store! It is a really creepy awesome way to get a good story line! Now divide and creep conquer, my fellow writers!!

5.) Just write!
Last, but not least, just sit down and write! It doesn't always matter if you have coherent sentences or not. You can even tear up the page and throw it away when you're done! Whatever you do, don't stop writing just because you can't think of something to write about. Sometimes, it is good to take a break if you are really struggling, but if it is possible, try to get something down on a page every day. If you continue to write, it really does become easier to get yourself out of a rut. 

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." ~Jack London 


Have you ever been completely dry of ideas?
What are your favorite ways to get writing inspiration?

Have a lovely day! :) 

 ~Megan ♥
 

Read my last post here: City of Ember book review

13 comments:

  1. Numbers 1 and 2 are definitely helpful; I'll be keeping them in mind for the future! When I lack inspiration, I scroll through my writing prompts board on Pinterest :)

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a Pinterest, but I've seen some really great inspiration boards from there!
      Thank you for commenting! ♥

      ~Megan <333

      Delete
  2. Oh, how I need to make an emergency list. I lose inspiration all the time, it's so frustrating! Usually I just force myself to write until something decent comes out. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a long time to realize that I needed to keep a list handy! It helps SO much!
      Thank you for commenting! ♥

      ~Megan<333

      Delete
  3. Good ideas. Here are some of mine. Drink coffee... Go for a walk, speaking into a recorder as I walk... Switch from typing to pen and paper... Meditate on the rich colors of a metaphor in Scripture... Switch to a Standing desk for a while... Listen to Bach... More coffee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drinking coffee is always a great idea!! I will have to try some of those! Thank you, Pastor Neal!

      ~Megan<333

      Delete
  4. These are such great ideas! I suffer from writer's block a lot and I'm definitely going to use these tips more often :) thanks for this post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Arushee!! I hope these help you! :) ♥

      ~Megan<333

      Delete
  5. I can't stress how important the list of ideas is because often time I get writers block! Superb post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Pinterest, personally. ^.^ Imagery gives me a lot of ideas, along with reading books and/or watching movies. :D

    And I always have to have an idea on the backburner. I write about two novels a year, so sometimes it gets a bit stressful wondering if I will have another in line. :P

    // katie grace
    a writer's faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a Pinterest! :( I've seen some really great things from there, though. I might get one soon! I love watching movies and reading books to get inspiration as well! Having a list of ideas has helped me SO MUCH!

      Thank you for commenting, Katie! ♥

      ~Megan<333

      Delete

  7. I just started my own YouTube channel Flower Arts and click the picture with the converse shoes and you will find me!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, lovelies! I love to hear from you! Every comment brightens my day a whole lot more, so by all means, leave me a note!
However, any inappropriate, rude, or scamming comments will disappear mysteriously...and they will never be seen again. So keep it appropriate, civil and nice, please! Hope to see you back soon, and have a delightful day! :)