Saturday, August 6, 2016

How I Write a Blog Post

Hello, lovely friends! *hugs* Welcome to my blog!

I have had a few people ask me about what my writing process looks like. The thing is, I don't have a specific process for my everyday writing. I just go by my random bursts of inspiration and write whenever I get the chance. However, I do have a blogging process, and I am going to share that with you today!


//Plan posts:
I try to plan an entire month's posts beforehand. I have a planner that I just got, and I try to write down what post I want to do for each week. Sometimes, I'll change what I originally had written if I don't necessarily feel like doing that post, but I like to have at least an idea of what I am going to do for that week. 
**Random side note: Planners are LIFE CHANGING. If you don't have one, you should really get one and try it out! I have never regretted getting mine!

// Write the post:
For a while, I was trying to find a day of the week that worked best for me to post, and I finally discovered that Saturday is perfect! I might put something out during the week, but for the most part, Saturday is the day! It gives me the whole week to work on a post without having to rush, which I love!
Through the week, I work on my posts a little at a time. I like having an entire week to work on it, because if I don't have time to do much writing that day, I don't have to worry about not having the post done on time. Some days I write a lot, some days I barely get ten sentences before I have to go somewhere or do something else, so it is good to have some wiggle-room.   


I have always typed up my posts in Blogger, but last week, my post for the next day randomly disappeared, and it was really stressful having to type it all up again last-minute! SO, because of that, I am most likely going to start putting my posts together in Microsoft Word. (Psst: does anybody else use Word for blogging? If so, I'd love some pointers and tips for the best way to go about it!) 

//Edit:
A really important (and sometimes really annoying) part of writing anything is editing. *crying* Inevitably, I will find grammar mistakes, awkward phrasing, or other such errors. Thursday is usually the day when I edit my post and make sure everything is coherent and spelled properly, and I will also add the links, italics, bold lettering, etc. where needed.

//Pictures:
In my opinion, pictures are one of the key elements of a post. I'm not a really good photographer, but I do really like to have nice pictures in my posts. (Quick shout-out to Google Images for pictures when I can't get my own to work! :p) Most of the time, I will only have one main picture at the top, but sometimes I will add a few more in the main body of the post to break up the text.
When I got my laptop, I couldn't get the photo editing program I had always used before, so I just use the standard Paint program to add the text to the main picture. So far it is working great for me! 


//Scheduling the post:
Something that I have started doing recently is scheduling my posts. When I'm done writing a post, I will set the time and day that I want it to post, and it will post it for me at that time! It makes things so much easier, because if I am going to be busy or won't be home to publish the post, it will still go up when I want it to. If you aren't using that option on Blogger, you totally should, because it's amazing!

SO..that's how I write my blog posts! I hope this was even a little helpful and didn't bore you completely. :p I find blogging to be SO much fun, and I love being able to post every week! Also, thanks to all of the lovely people that read my blog! You guys are da bestest! ♥ *hugs and cookies for all*


Have a lovely day!! :)


 ~Megan ♥

27 comments:

  1. PLANNERS ARE AMAZING!! I'm working on being better about scheduling my posts out instead of just posting whenever. I have a legit plan for August, and I'm working on putting one together for September! It takes so much of the stress away.
    I loved this post, Megan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been able to actually enjoy blogging SO MUCH MORE now that I started to plan posts! GAH PLANNERS YOU HAVE SAVED MY LIFE.

      You go, Grace!! :)

      Thank you for commenting, Grace! :) ♥

      Delete
  2. Neat post! I love seeing how people write their blog posts. :)

    I also wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Wisteria Writer tag on my blog- (https://apurposeandapromise.blogspot.com/2016/08/the-wisteria-writer-tag-by-book-tag.html). I thought you might enjoy doing it!
    ~Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nomination, Emily!! The tag looks fun! I'll be doing it soon. :)

      Delete
  3. It's interesting to see how you plan and write your posts! It sounds like I need to get a planner, and plan my posts more, although I do like spontaneously written posts sometimes.

    Anyway, I just seem to have discovered your blog, Megan, and it's been fun reading through it, so I know I'll be back. Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEFINITELY GET A PLANNER IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE. I have had so much more fun blogging since I got mine!

      Thank you so much for you kind words, Jessica!! You're awesome! ♥♥

      Delete
  4. I keep a OneNote file of post ideas, but it would be suuuper cool to get a real planner. :D

    I do the same thing with scheduling. I love scheduling, because it can go live without me knowing, so I won't have the fear of thinking, "what if people hate it?" I can just find that out in the next day. xD

    // katie grace
    a writer's faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES that's why I started scheduling all of my posts! GAH it's made my life so much easier. :D

      Thanks for commenting, Katie!! ♥

      Delete
  5. PLANNERS ARE BEAUTIFUL THINGS. Mine is my absolute lifeblood.
    Google Images has saved me way too many times to count. XD I loved reading this post!

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES mine saved my life pretty much. :D
      I used to want only my pictures on my blog, but then I was like "Yeah, I need some that actually look good." lol I'm not a photographer, and it was starting to show! :D

      Thank you for commenting, Ellie! ♥

      Delete
  6. I love this! I think it's super cool that you plan out your posts like this, I kind of just post whenever I feel like it hahaha.

    xx arushee

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have started scheduling my posts too, blog-life changing! I usually have a superfluity of ideas, so I scribble or type them out so as not to forget, and I then I make a time to mass write them into actual posts. I try to reread a couple times and then I schedule my posts and write the dates down (I like to leave room for any spur of the moment posts). This last batch I had enough material and energy to prepare three months of posts. I am about due for another batch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you're like a blogging superwoman!! Haha I don't actually write mine out until the week they are due to post. It's rare that I have several ready at a time! :D

      Thank you for commenting, Livia! ♥

      Delete
  8. I just found your blog through your comment on mine!! I love what I see! Consider me your newest follower <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GAH Aaliyah you are so kind!! Thank you SO much! You're a dear. :) ♥

      Delete
  9. I love this post! It's so interesting to see how other bloggers run their blogging schedule. I used to really not have a plan or schedule or anything and just write updates on my life once a month which isn't really considered blogging i suppose..more like journaling? hahah lol but I've started planning and scheduling like you suggested. AND PLANNERS ARE LIFE YO. I'm getting a new one for the upcoming school year, and I'm trying to decided which one to buy. WHY DO THEY HAVE TO BE SO EXPENSIVE??? Aghhh they're like 30 bucks? It's crazy.

    And my inspiration comes in bursts...it's so weird. I'll go months thinking why on earth I have a blog even and then all of a sudden I'll plan out like four months in advance. (currently planned out till November and still freaking out how that happened ^_^) haha, but those inspiration bursts are sure handy. :) Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the diversity with blogs!! Like, some are like journals, some are advice, some are devotionals, some have all pictures...it's just SO COOL and amazing and I love the blogging world.

      PLANNERS ARE SO EXPENSIVE I KNOW. I never wanted to buy one because of that, but I was really starting to need one. The one I have now is really really nice, and I got it from Walmart for ten bucks! It's teal blue and watercolor themed, and GAH I love it!!

      I totally feel you on the inspiration thing! It can be so frustrating, or crazy awesome all at the same time!!

      Thank you so much for commenting, Autumn!! ♥

      Delete
  10. It is wonderful to see how other bloggers manage their blogs. I am a very spontaneous blogger. I think of ideas at the most random times and have no writing schedule what so ever. I give lots of credit to you for having a post schedule and being so neat. It's awesome but I could neverrr do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha Thank you, Vanessa!! I love the different styles of blogging, though!! It makes it all more like an art than an army. :p

      Delete
  11. Goodness, you are so much more organized than I am XP I've tried planning my posts before hand (knowing what my topic is each posting day for that month) but it never works for me. I tend to ponder a topic all week, and then write about what's on my mind. And I love the scheduling setting! I use it all the time. I set my posts for early in the mornings, so that when I wake up its already been in the air for a while and I don't have to be nervous about anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE YOUR BLOG, HANNAH. Yeah, my posts usually go up before I wake up. It makes me not second-guess myself! haha

      Delete
  12. I really want a blog and I am hoping to get one soon, but these points are definitely going to help me when I first get started, whenever that may be. Thanks for sharing, Megan. ~Abby<3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Megan, I sent you a couple emails this evening. ~Abby <3<3<3

      Delete
    2. I really really hope you get a blog, because I would be a very faithful follower!! (of course) :) I'm glad I could be a help to you! :)

      ♥♥♥

      P.S. Just replied to your emails. :)

      Delete
    3. Ok. Thanks! I really hope I get a blog too.I would definitely have you do a guest post on mine. Absolutely! ~Abby <3<3<3

      Delete
  13. Hey!

    I just stumbled upon your space on the internet, and I'm very happy that I did.
    I haven't seen anyone do this post yet, and I thought that it was a unique one to do.
    Thank you for providing insight into your styles of blogging.

    All the best for 2017.

    Steph

    www.socialspying.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, lovelies! I love to hear from you! Every comment brightens my day a whole lot more, so by all means, leave me a note!
However, any inappropriate, rude, or scamming comments will disappear mysteriously...and they will never be seen again. So keep it appropriate, civil and nice, please! Hope to see you back soon, and have a delightful day! :)