Sunday, August 31, 2014

Coconut Oil Hair Treatment {how-to & results}

I have recently been introduced to coconut oil treatments for hair health/growth. I was skeptical at first, (because my hair is naturally oily, and why would I want to put more oil in it?) but I have never been so happy to find myself wrong. I am officially hooked. I started using it mainly because of my hair damage from heat and also because I wanted to grow it out quicker. My hair usually grows faster than average, but it has never grown this fast before I used coconut oil. I would definitely say that it has contributed much to my hair growth, and my hair is no longer dry and damaged. I am generally pretty wary with organic or natural treatments and the like, but this has helped my hair a lot, and I'm willing to look into it more. Don't worry... you won't regret it!


I apply the coconut oil anywhere from 3 hours to a half hour before I get in the shower, but the results are best when you let it sit longer. Here's how I do it:

I have my coconut oil in a small Tupperware container. The reason being my mom has a jar of it that she doesn't want me stealing, so I put some in a container, where I can keep it in my room without having to take hers. She actually just went out and got me my own, though! I use the LouAna brand from Walmart. ($5 or so) There are a lot of people that prefer the organic brands, but this works well for me.


//1: I HIGHLY recommend putting on an old t-shirt that you don't care about. It will get VERY greasy and oily, so don't wear something you love. You may want to put a towel or something on the floor, especially if you are on carpet. Sometimes it drips off of your hands. (Don't worry, there won't be that much on your hair!)

//2: Using your fingers, scoop up a some coconut oil and rub it between your hands. Gently massage it into your scalp. A lot of people cringe at the thought of putting oil directly on their scalp, but honestly, this is the most important place to put it, and you are washing it out eventually, so it's ok. Make sure your hair is very well coated. Be sure to get the back well. Split it in sections and put it on each one to get it well. It should look something like this:

                   (You will get some oil on your face, but if you wash your face, then it will be fine.)


//3: Once you are done with that, you will need to let it sit for a while. I let mine sit for about 2 hours, but you can let it sit longer, or even overnight. Basically you need to wash your hands really well to get the oil off, then put your hair up so it's out of your face and out of your way. I put mine in a messy bun with a headband to keep my bangs and the little strands that tend to fall out from getting in my face. I have two cheap ponytails and a headband that I don't use for anything else but that. I would advise having some so you don't get your hair greasy when it's not supposed to be.




//4: Once you are ready to wash your hair, you need to wash it out three times with a non-moisturizing shampoo. It is essential that you wash it out three times, or it will not all come out. You want to really work it into a lather and massage your scalp well.
I just use the regular Suave Cherry Blossom shampoo. I don't use conditioner, since the coconut oil is enough. When I wash my hair without putting coconut oil in it, I use TresSemme moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. It smells SO good. I only wash my hair about 2 or 3 times a week, and I use coconut oil once a week. I am probably going to start doing it twice a week, but I haven't gotten to that yet.

Well, that's how I do my hair! Maybe I'll do a post on some hair growth tips as far as what is good/bad for your hair, but I'm not sure yet. I love hair, and I'm still educating myself on it. :)

I hope this helped you out, and you should definitely try doing it! It will make a huge difference in your hair! I started noticing results after about 2 or 3 times of using it, but it may be quicker or longer for you. It all depends on your hair. If you do try it, leave a comment and let me know how it turned out! I'd love to know! I'll post again soon! Until then,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, lovelies! I love to hear from you! Every comment brightens my day a whole lot more, so by all means, leave me a note!
However, any inappropriate, rude, or scamming comments will disappear mysteriously...and they will never be seen again. So keep it appropriate, civil and nice, please! Hope to see you back soon, and have a delightful day! :)